Subject: Computer espionage by M$ (fwd)
From: Mike McCool <[email-masked]>
To: imaginemailinglist <[email-masked]>
Cc: Lightwave <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 1995 11:41:57 -0700 (PDT)

I'm sharing this post with both LW and Imagn lists.  There was a 
discussion a while back about microsoft's deliberate malfeasance vs 
commodore's deliberate stupidity--to which, by the way, NO one responded  
with anything but pandering blather.  Most of the responses I got were so 
frighteningly casuist, it made me wonder just how far a windozer will 
pucker up to kiss the ass of his oppressor.

Oh, and to all those shrinking violets who can't assimilate anything 
off-topic: either you've used your delete key long before now, or you 
realize there could be nothing more topical.  

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 1995 22:30:52 +0900
From: C.W. Vilbiandt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Computer espionage by M$

The following was forwarded to me.  Does anyone out there want to start a
letter of protest to federal courts or someone about this.

>  From: [email-masked]
>
>  Date: Wed, 17 May 95 13:44:40 EDT
>
>  Microsoft officials confirm that beta versions of Windows 95 include a
>  small viral routine called Registration Wizard.  It interrogates every
>  system on a network gathering intelligence on what software is being run
>  on which machine.  It then creates a complete listing of both Microsoft's
>  and competitors' products by machine, which it reports to Microsoft when
>  customers sign up for Microsoft's Network Services, due for launch later
>  this year.
>
>  "In Short" column, page 88, _Information Week_ magazine, May 22, 1995
>
>  The implications of this action, and the attitude of Microsoft to plan
>  such action, beggars the imagination.
>
>  An update on this. A friend of mine got hold of the beta test CD
>  of Win95, and set up a packet sniffer between his serial port and the
>  modem. When you try out the free demo time on The Microsoft Network, it
>  transmits your entire directory structure in background.
>  This means that they have a list of every directory (and, potentially
>  every file) on your machine. It would not be difficult to have something
>  like a FileRequest from your system to theirs, without you knowing about
>  it. This way they could get ahold of any juicy routines you've written
>  yourself and claim them as their own if you don't have them copyrighted.
>
>  Needless to say, I'm rather annoyed about this.
>  So spread the word as far and wide as possible: Steer clear of Windows 95.
>  There's nothing to say that this "feature" will be removed in the final
>  release.

--
Mike McCool <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]